Monday, March 29, 2010

Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty

I started out today reading in Numbers about Balaam and the donkey. I found it quite humorous today, possibly because of the circumstances in my life. God used a donkey to bring Balaam to his senses. However, before he came to his senses, he beat the donkey for protecting him from being slain by the angel. "Lord, give me the wisdom to know when you are using people to protect me and help me, rather than think everyone has an agenda, is wrong, or just won't do it my way." Psalm 6 came next and that was a psalm I prayed several times before I could get up and move on with my day. After devotions, I read a few pages in the book, "Loving Kids on Purpose" by Danny Silk. What I read challenged me to do everything in love rather than by punishment or demanding obedience. This was hard since I am programmed from my childhood to get results by punishment or demanding obedience no matter what. Here's a quote from the book, " When children grow up in an environment where their parents are scared of sin, they learn to fear failure." I am supposed to be building love not fear in my child and home. The book went on to say that by doing this, I will create a child who will be free in Christ because he will know how to control himself from the inside. The Bible tells me in II Corinthians 3:17 ,"...where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." Now I was able to come out and face my day. Todd helped me make oatmeal for all 8 children who showed up for daycare. He was great at following directions as I let him pour the oatmeal and then the raisins and the maple flavoring and cinnamon into the pan. We cleaned breakfast up and got the daycare room ready for preschool. After preschool we played with the lite brite and then made play - doh. We had lunch and now everyone is down for naps. I feel God has been in control every step of the way as I tried to lead the children carefully by just loving them. I have always loved them, but reading a book about it in the morning helped me stay focused and not get in that rut of saying, "that's a time out," or "go to your room," etc. Good day for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment